Pages

DDNS and QNAP NAS

I was looking recently to allow remote access into my home QNAP NAS from remote locations.
My IP address at home is dynamic so I needed a DDNS provider and some port forwarding on the home router.
My setup at home is simple. My internet connection is over a DSL line. I have a DSL router from the ISP serving as an Wifi access point for my devices at home. It also has 4 ethernet ports and to one of them I have my QNAP NAS connected.

After looking throgh a few reviews on the internet, I choosed DuckDNS. What i liked about it the most is their variety support in operating systems and the way the dynamic update is done - through an HTTPS GET request (can use also HTTP GET, but HTTPS is recommended). Secure and implemented in any decent OS. Full specs here.
You log in with one account from various social networks (reddit, G+, facebook, twitter) and you get a token assigned with your account. Further, at this time you can use 5 subdomains.

The QNAP itself can act as a DDNS client for a few providers. The whole list is below. Duckdns is not one of them.


To make use of duckdns on the QNAP NAS I've added in the /etc/config/crontab file an entry to update my IP every 2 hours:
 0 */2 * * * /share/Valentin/duckdns/duck.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

I would have preferred it under the admin's home directory  /root but after every reboot the script is removed.
The file /share/Valentin/duckdns/duck.sh has the contents
echo url="https://www.duckdns.org/update?domains=<mydomain>&token=<mytoken>&ip=" | curl -k -o /share/Valentin/duckdns/duck.log -K -

After you sign up to duckdns, the nice part about is that also the url above will be generated for you so you just need to copy/paste to the right place. Several tutorials are available on the duckdns site for various OSes/standards/routers.

Other options I've looked at are no-ip.com and dyns.cx.
For no-ip.com, QNAP can be a client.There's a nice interface and everything but you have to update your free subscription monthly. The paid options remove the monthly "renewal" but give way more than I need and is not that cheap. Not really for me.

For dyns.cx QNAP can be a client too. I've tried this, but the experience here sucked. There's a one time donation (I choosed to donate 5 EUR) and then you can use the "service" for free. After donating and setting up the account I could not make the hostname I've choosen point to the dynamic IP address at home. No joy after setting up the QNAP client or even changing the hostname - IP information manually on the manage account page of dyns.cx. The IP address was all the time pointing to www.dyns.cx. Several emails to various addresses listed for contact on the dyns.cx site, no answer. So I lost 5 euros

4 comments:

gibsonherry said...

now not simplest the writing however also the creativeness power of creator of this blog is surely swish. Use of terminology seemed great as i'm also a creator but i'm not able to find out any mistakes after studying this text.

QNAP TS ECx80 R2 Series

QNAP USER1 said...

Thanks for putting this up, it was very helpful.

Is there anywhere to put the duck.sh file so that it doesn't reboot on startup and it's not on a share that causes the hard drives to spin up??

Valentin said...

Hi QNAP USER1
For "so that it doesn't reboot on startup". Do you mean: so is not removed on startup?
and for:
"and it's not on a share that causes the hard drives to spin up??"
If you mean not to set them on the harddisk but on the internal flash, I don't have enough knowledge about the QNAP OS to answer. I suspect anything not on the hard drives will disappear at reboot, as the OS is bootstrapped in a RAMdisk at startup

QNAP USER1 said...

Yes, sorry, I meant removed at startup.

I just thought of something, perhaps I'll use the USB port on the back and place a spare thumb drive on there for the duck.sh, then I won't have to worry about spinning up the hard drives unneccessarily.